Pop Quiz: Is Horseradish a vegetable or a condiment?
Answer:: It’s a vegetable, but commonly prepared and so named as a condiment.
Horseradish is a great companion to prime rib. It’s somewhat spicy, somewhat sour, somewhat creamy flavor adds a little pizzazz to any beef dinner. It’s also not too hard on your arteries, and depending on the preparation might be acceptable to vegetarians or even vegans. Best of all, it’s very easy to make!
Simple Horseradish Sauce Recipe for Prime Rib
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated horseradish (for best taste buy fresh horseradish from your grocer)
- 8 ounces sour cream drained
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce*
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Dash of hot sauce*
*See our list of brands to purchase at the bottom of this post
In a medium sized bowl, mix together all ingredients and serve with Prime Rib. Place in refrigerator until ready to serve. That’s it! Be sure to thoroughly mix ALL ingredients, or else the sauce will be inconsistent or pasty.
Horseradish Measures, Weights, and Substiutions
Important: Always refer to your specific recipe’s instructions first before using substitutions. For example, some recipes might call for grated horseradish opposed to bottled prepared horseradish. Substitute at your own risk! 🙂
- 1 Tablespoon grated fresh horseradish = 2 Tbsp bottled prepared horseradish
- 2 Tablespoons prepared horseradish = 1 Tablespoon dried + 1 Tablespoon vinegar + 1 Tablespoon water + salt to taste
- 10 Tablespoons prepared horseradish = 6 Tablespoons dried powdered
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh root = 2-3/4 cups peeled and grated
- 1 8-ounce bottle prepared horseradish = 1 cup
Other Tasty Horseradish Sauces and Preparations
Apple Horseradish Sauce
Note: Also makes a great companion for pork dishes!
- 4 Granny Smith apples
- 2 fluid ounces (60 ml) cider vinegar
- 2 ounces (60 g) fresh horseradish, grated
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) paprika
- 1 fluid ounce (30 ml) white wine
Grate the apples and moisten them with vinegar. Add the horseradish and paprika. Thin to the desired consistency with the wine.
Yield: 1 pint (500 ml)
Horseradish Hollandaise Sauce Recipe
Note: This one is a little more complicated, but the end result is an amazing flavor that can’t be missed!
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter
For the Horseradish Puree:
- 1/4 cup drained prepared horseradish
- 1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon heavy cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Keep warm.
To make the horseradish puree: Place the horseradish, vinegar, and cream in a blender. Puree until smooth, stopping from time to time to scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula. Scrape into a bowl and reserve.
Place the egg yolks in a slightly larger non-reactive saucepan. Whisk in the water and the salt. Place over medium-low heat. Slowly pour the warm butter into the egg yolks, whisking constantly. After all the butter has been incorporated, continue whisking approximately 3 to 5 minutes over the heat, until the sauce is light and fluffy and has almost doubled in volume. Remove from heat and continue whisking until the sauce is skin temperature.
Whisk in the reserved horseradish puree. Serve immediately. Good with roasted fish, beef, and chicken.
Yield: 1-2/3 cups
Same Day Beet Relish
- 1 pound cooked beets
- 1 ounce grated horseradish, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cup yogurt or sour cream
Coarsely grate beets and mix with horseradish. Beat together the mustard, sugar, salt, pepper, and vinegar and mix with the beets. Fold in the yogurt or sour cream. Serve cold. The texture of the sauce can be as “coarse” or “smooth” as you desire, depending on how small you make your grated beets and horseradish particles. Feel free to add more Horseradish to balance the earthy flavor of the beets to taste.
Yield: About 2 cups
Source: About.com Horseradish Recipes
Hot Sauce Brands
All of the following available on Amazon.com
- Cajun Injector Louisiana Brand Hot Sauce Kit by Cajun Injector
- Dave’s Ghost Pepper Naga Jolokia Hot Sauce 5oz by Dave’s Gourmet
- Huy Fong – Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce (Net Wt. 28 Oz.) by Huy Fong
- Xtreme Heat Mini 4 Pack by Ass Kickin’
- Bacon Flavored Hot Sauce, 5 Ounce by Bacon Hot Sauce
- El Yucateco 4 Habanero Hot Sauces Gift Pack, 4 Items by El Yucateco
- Cholula Hot Sauce Variety 4-Pack by Cholula
- Cambodian Hot Sauce by Black Market Hot Sauce
Worcestershire Sauce Brands
All of the following available on Amazon.com
- Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce-10 OZ by Lea & Perrins
- Edward & Sons Organic Vegan Worcestershire Sauce — 5 fl oz by Edward & Sons
- French’s Worcestershire Sauce – Extra Tenderizing: 10 OZ by French’s
- Heinz Worcestershire Sauce for Cooking, Seasoning & Marinating – 12 oz by Heinz
- TABASCO Worcestershire Sauce 5 oz. by TABASCO brand
- Bull-Dog – Vegetable & Fruit Tonkatsu Sauce 10.1 Fl. Oz. by Bull-Dog